Bethel University Immunization Requirements
As required by the Bethel University and State of Tennessee, the following immunizations are required prior to registration:
Tetanus /Diphtheria (Td, Tdap, DTP) shot (within the last 10 years) - Bethel University Requirement
Measles, Mumps and Rubella immunity (MMR):
Proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella may be provided by meeting one of the following 3 criteria:
· Date of birth before 1957, or
· Documentation of 2 doses vaccine against measles, mumps and rubella given at least 28 days apart, excluding doses given earlier than 4 days before the first birthday, or
· Documentation of blood test (serology) showing immunity to measles, mumps and rubella. If any one of the three is negative, 2 doses of vaccine must be documented.
Varicella (chickenpox) immunity:
Proof of immunity to varicella (chickenpox) is required by meeting one of the following 4 criteria:
· Date of birth before 1980, or
· History of chickenpox illness diagnosed by a healthcare provider or verified by a physician, advanced practice nurse or physician assistant to whom the illness is described, or
· Documentation of 2 doses of varicella vaccine given at least 28 days apart, excluding doses given earlier than 4 days before the first birthday, or
· Documentation of blood test (serology) showing immunity to varicella.
Meningococcal (Meningitis) vaccine:
· If a dose is administered at age 11–12 years, a booster dose at age 16 is needed.
· If the first dose is administered at age 13 through 15 years, a booster dose should be administered at age 16 through 18 years with a minimum interval of at least 8 weeks between doses.
· If the first dose is administered at age 16 years or older, a booster dose is not needed.
If you have any questions regarding any of these vaccines, please consult your physician.
Who is required to be immunized?
· Full time enrollees in higher education institutions (post-secondary) in Tennessee with enrollments larger than 200 students
· Undergraduates enrolled in at least 12 semester hours, or equivalent
· Graduate students enrolled in at least 9 semester hours, or equivalent
Exempt: Full time distance learning students are exempted from immunization requirements
Not able to locate MMR or Varicella documentation?
Your options are:
· Have a test for immunity – MMR titer or Varicella titer
If any component of the MMR titer test or Varicella titer test is not positive, BOTH immunizations must be taken again
· Have both immunizations again
Because the immunizations must be given 28 days apart, after the student has their first immunization, a temporary 30 day waiver will be given so the student can register for full-time credit hours.
Exemption from Immunizations
· Exemptions may be requested if the student has an allergy to a vaccine component, has a valid medical condition which contraindicates receiving the vaccine, or religious tenets prohibiting vaccinations. If you believe you are entitled to an exemption based on one of the preceding grounds, you must bring signed letter from your physician explaining your condition or sign a religious waiver, available from the Immunization Coordinator. If you have any question please feel free to contact Immunization Coordinator prior to registration.
If an exempted student contracts Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella or Meningitis, or if a Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella, or Meningitis outbreak occurs, it will be the student’s responsibility to remain off campus until a physician gives written permission for the student to return to campus.
In the event that a student does not have the required documentations turned in by the 14th day after the final registration date, the Immunization Coordinator has the authority to place a Student Health Hold onto the student’s business account with Bethel University. A student hold puts a freeze on the student’s account denying the student access to the following: business statements of account, end of semester grades, ability to register for classes and transcripts. A letter will be sent to the student and the appropriate departments to have each department aware of the HOLD.
Immunization Coordinator, Melissa Curd - Health Services, Bethel University
Phone (731) 352-4291
Fax (731) 241-0013