Assistant Library Director
Under general supervision of the Library Director assists in developing, administering and coordinating all areas of the library. Performs managerial duties related to personnel, library operations, technical services, cataloging, instruction, reference, collection development, marketing, etc. Directs the library in the absence of the Director.
• American Library Association accredited Library Science/Information Science Degree
• 3 - 5 years of library experience
• 2 years of progressively increasing supervisory or administrative experience
• Second master’s degree preferred
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THE POSITION
• Assumes the duties of the Director in the Director's absence, reporting to the Director and answerable to the University Administration. Assists in administering all library services and programs, providing support, mentoring and monitoring of all library services including Circulation; Reference; Instruction, and Technical Services.
• Assists the Library Director with budget preparation, reports, benchmarking, personnel, policy and procedural matters as well as other administrative duties.
• Directly responsible for a major portion of the overall library materials budget and its expenditure within the following areas: Databases, Books, eBooks, Automation, and Leisure collections in various formats.
• Assures overall quality of library resources and that resources meet the needs of all college programs through ongoing assessment of the existing collection (print, electronic, media) and optimal choice of new resources in all formats. Negotiates and complies with licenses and contracts related to library resources, software, and equipment.
• Participates in the library instruction program, which often includes instruction provided via lecture method, hands-on method, or over the web. Creates finding aids, assessment tools, and programs to complement library instruction.
• Provides timely research assistance to walk-in clients as well as via telephone and email.
• Stays informed of professional issues, trends and attitudes, including managerial, financial, political, and personnel issues, through reading professional literature, newsletters, journals and electronic media.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND WORKER CHARACTERISTICS
• Knowledge of principles and practices of library and information science and library administration
• Knowledge of computer, office applications, budget and accounting software, and library related software
• Knowledge of principles and practices of information literacy and instruction
• Leadership skills
• Strong organizational skills and ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Excellent communication and customer service skills
• Strong technology skills
• Knowledge of basic accounting and budget principles and practices
• Ability to work well with individuals with diverse backgrounds.
• Abilitiy to lift up to 25 lbs on a regular basis.
Ability to push a loaded book truck around department as necessary.
To be considered applicants must provide a cover letter, CV/resume, and three references.
Apply for this position
Thank you for considering a career at Bethel. Please take a minute to fill out the following form and we’ll get back to you shortly.