The Director of Development is responsible for the identification, cultivation and solicitation of prospective donors for a major gift in support of Bethel University. A major gift for Bethel is defined at this time as $10,000 or more. The position will help plan and execute the solicitation of such funds through grants, in-kind donations, corporations, foundations and individual solicitations. The Development Officer must be able to work outside normal business hours and attend select alumni events.
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 100 alumni, donors and parents. Create goals toward identification, cultivation, and solicitation of donors within personal portfolio.
- Create individual donor plan for face-to-face visits and other contacts to develop and enhance relationships with prospects and to move assigned prospects to higher levels of engagement and giving.
- Oversee stewardship plan recognizing donors contributing major gifts. Will work with College’s program/department head and Bethel marketing team for communication of gift and follow-up so that plan is executed in a timely manner.
- Complete cultivation, discovery and solicitation reports and other administrative responsibilities in a timely manner, utilizing support staff as appropriate.
- Plan and execute travel in a cost-efficient manner, maximizing visits and outreach efforts.
- Collaborate with colleagues in formulating and implementing plans and programs to increase the engagement of selected individual prospects through Bethel events.
- Participate in college events including Homecoming, Family Weekend, receptions and other events.
- BA or BS degree
- 3-5 years experience in development leadership or major gift solicitation.
- Successful track record in closing solicitations of $10K - $25K gifts.
- Exceptional communication skills; ability to create written appeals, grants, solicitation presentations.
- Proven ability to cultivate and deepen relationships toward fundraising goals.
- Ability to create and execute stewardship strategies to recognize donors as well as grow donor experience to the next giving level.
- Background in higher education development
- CFRE certification
Apply for this position
Thank you for considering a career at Bethel. Please take a minute to fill out the following form and we’ll get back to you shortly.