Office of Disability Services/ Veteran Affairs

About the Office of Disability Services

The Office of Disability Services (ODS) is designed to coordinate and administer services and accommodations for students with documented disabilities. In doing so, ODS will review disability documentation, meet with students to determine appropriate reasonable accommodations, and work with other areas on campus to implement services according to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and The Americans Disabilities Act of 1990. These laws are designed to remove barriers to "equal participation". Specifically, they prohibit discrimination on the basis of a handicap and mandate "reasonable accommodations" for students with learning disabilities, ADHD, traumatic brain injury, seizure disorders, and other cognitive and physical impairments.


What is our goal?

Our goal is to provide individuals with documented disabilities fair access to programs, services, and activities at Bethel University.


How can you find us?

We are located in the Vera Low Center for Student Enrichment, Office G118, 101 Wildcat Lane, McKenzie, TN 38201 from 8:00 am -4:30 pm.  


Who is eligible?

A “person with a disability” is someone with a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.  A person is considered to be a person with a disability if he or she has the disability, has a record of the disability, or is regarded as having the disability.  The following list is not limited to the common disabilities an individual maybe eligible for:  Blind and/or Visually Impaired, Deaf and/or Hard of Hearing, Mobility Impaired, Neurologically Impaired, Chronic health conditions, Psychological, Epilepsy/Seizure Disorders and Learning Disabled such as ADD/ADHD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD), Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia, Dyspraxia and other conditions as determined by the DS Director.


What services are available?

All services and accommodations provided by the DS Office are based upon each student's individual needs. These needs will be determined after a mandatory one-on-one consultation with the Director Jean Little.  The services and reasonable accommodations may include, but are not limited to: Academic advising and strategic scheduling of classes, preferential classroom seating, note taking services, testing accommodations such as distraction-free test environments, extended time and/or oral testing, audio textbooks, Scribe, Reader and free tutoring services.

Policy and Procedure


Learning Disability Definitions

Disability Services Forms



Are you a veteran enrolling in Bethel's College of Liberal Arts? 

VA Coordinator: Tan-Gee Deem -- Ms. Deem is the school certifying official for Veterans' Educational Benefits in Bethel University's College of Liberal Arts, College of Education and College of Health Sciences. This office will certify under Chapter 30, 31, 32, 33, 1606, and 1607. Some of her roles will be to 1) Certify the enrollment and changes in enrollment for eligible veterans and their dependents. 2) Communicate the registration status of eligible veterans and their dependents with the VA at the beginning and ending dates of each semester. 3) Act as a resource for student veterans and their dependents concerning VA benefits and plans of study.

Located: Vera Low Student Enrichment Center, Office L120, 101 Wildcat Lane, McKenzie, TN 38201

Phone: 731-352-4012


Are you a veteran enrolling in the College of Professional Studies? Click Here.


Welcome to Veterans Affairs

Bethel University is here to assist veterans, reservists, guardsmen, active duty service members and dependents with their education benefits they have earned through service. 

If you plan to attend Bethel University, you must file an admission application and meet all of the admission requirements. You may contact the Veterans Office and receive information needed to apply for VA benefits or go to the website and apply for VA benefits online. Please print a copy of the completed application and bring it to the Office of Veterans Affairs along with a copy of your DD214 when you register for classes. 

Once this is complete and you have registered for classes, contact Ms. Tan-Gee Deem at 731-352-4012 and request to be certified for VA benefits.

Remember: All paperwork must be completed and returned to the Admissions Office and Veterans Affairs Office before certification can be submitted.

Are there other federal options, other than Tuition Assistance, for Soldiers to pay for college while still serving? Soldiers may continue to pursue their educational goals with VA education benefits, if applicable, that include the Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (Chapter 30), Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606), Reserve Education Assistance Program (Chapter 1607), The Post 9/11 GI Bill, federal grants and federal financial aid. National Guard Soldiers may also be eligible for state Tuition Assistance benefits.


Related Links


Apply for VA Benefits