Skip to main content

U.S. Taxes for International Students

The United States currently maintains treaties with approximately 57 countries regarding income taxes that may be applicable to you as an international student.

Income Taxes for International Students

You may be required to pay taxes on non-service scholarships income if the following applies:

  • In the event that your scholarships exceed tuition and required educational expenses.
  • Your country is one of 57 countries with whom the U.S. currently maintains an applicable treaty.

If applicable:

  • Taxes will be calculated based on information provided by the student and the scholarships awarded.
  • The calculated amount will automatically be applied to the student's account.
  • The amount must be paid before registration the following semester.
  • For further information, please refer to USCIS, ICE, IRS, DHS, or find your embassy.
  • Answers to frequently asked questions may be found here.

Contact Us

If you have any questions, please contact