Bethel University and the City of McKenzie are located in an area that may experience inclement weather, including tornadoes. For this reason, the following policies and procedures have been implemented.
Severe Weather Threats
Please review the following information to be prepared in the event of a severe weather threat, especially when a tornado is approaching campus.
- Register for Emergency Notifications to be immediately notified about incoming severe weather.
- Familiarize yourself with shelter locations by reviewing Quick Response Booklets found throughout each building on campus.
- Familiarize yourself with the floor plans located in each classroom and dorm room.
- Familiarize yourself with Tornado Terms to properly react during a severe weather threat.
- During the event, security will closely track the weather as well as monitor radio traffic by the McKenzie Police Department and Carroll County Sheriff's Department.
The Burroughs Learning Center (Library) has been designated as a FEMA Storm Shelter.
Burroughs is capable of holding 1,800 people and is open to the public in the event of tornado-producing weather. The primary after-hours access to the basement is located at the rear, southeast corner of the building closest to the log cabin.
Please familiarize yourself with the following terms so you can react properly during a severe weather threat.
- If a tornado watch is announced, that means weather conditions are favorable for a SuperCell to develop that may produce a tornado.
- If the National Weather Service announces a tornado watch, an alert will be sent to faculty, staff, and students via email and social media.
- During a tornado watch, activities may continue as normal, but individuals should remain alert of changing weather conditions.
- If a tornado warning is announced, that means the weather radar has detected a cloud rotations capable of forming a tornado or that a tornado has been spotted.
- If the National Weather Service announces a tornado warning, the City of McKenzie will activate the audible warning siren.
- During a tornado warning, all campus activities will cease, and faculty, staff, and students should immediately proceed to designated shelter areas.
- If it is safe to do so, proceed to the basement of the Burroughs Learning Center.