Skip to main content

Obtaining Important Documents

While in the U.S., as an international student, you may want or need to obtain a state-issued driver's license or a Social Security card. We want to help make sure you have all of the necessary documents.

Social Security Card

A social security card may be issued to F-1 Visa status students IF the student has a job or the promise of a job. To request a social security number, the Social Security Administration requires:

  • Passport
  • An I-94 Arrival/Departure printout
  • An F-1 student visa
  • Letter to prove employment status when applicable
Social Security Card Information

Driver's License

You may want to obtain a Tennessee driver's license so you can drive legally while studying at Bethel. To obtain a Tennessee driver's license, you will need:

  • A valid passport
  • Student visa
  • I-94 Arrival/departure printout (must show you have been in the U.S. for a minimum of 10 days. The I-94 printout has an expiration date near the bottom of the form).
  • Form I-20
  • 2 documents proving your Tennessee address.
State of Tennessee's Driver Services

On this site, choose License & I.D. and follow the prompts.