University Communications Specialist
The University Relations Communications Specialist is responsible for developing and implementing internal and external communications and strategies that support Bethel University’s mission, vision and values. This position is a part of the University’s marketing team and reports to the Vice President for Development and Marketing.
- Develop and implement targeted and integrated communications strategies to engage and inform prospective students, parents, donors, media, and the community.
- Manage the production and serve as project manager, editor, and principal writer for a wide range of materials and communications.
- Manage communication activities and identify opportunities to advance student recruitment.
- Ensure a consistent brand message across a wide range of communications and materials.
- Manage and create content for the University’s social media accounts.
- Report on social media account activity and provide detailed analysis of outcomes.
- Research and interview subjects to produce original written and digital communications and materials.
- Coordinate with University photographer/videographer on coverage of events, stories and communications opportunities.
- Assist with internal communications to staff, faculty, and current students.
- Develop and implement public relations strategy to engage and inform media and the community.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with internal and external outlets to improve awareness, investment, and enrollment; manage requests for information from media and community sources; proactively pitch stories to media; write news releases; and act as media liaison, consultant, and trainer for school staff, faculty, and students.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, public relations, journalism, or a related field.
- 2-3 years of writing and copy-editing experience. Combinations of education and related experience may be considered. A portfolio of writing samples is required to be considered for the position.
- Ability to develop relationships with internal and external stakeholders and the media.
- Strong personal initiative, problem-solving skills, creativity, and ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Strong communication skills. Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills. Ability to articulate and communicate complex issues to a variety of audiences.
- Superior presentation and analytical skills.
- Skills to handle a variety of assignments simultaneously.
- Strong networking and relationship-building skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proven track record in managing projects and working with various team members to accomplish common objectives.
- Ability to work under deadline pressure and extra hours, if needed, on assignments.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word).
- Expertise in AP style, experience in academic or nonprofit setting, and experience managing social media accounts for an organization strongly preferred.
Apply for this position
Thank you for considering a career at Bethel. Please take a minute to fill out the following form and we’ll get back to you shortly.